Re: Using Emacs 22 Courier font in Emacs 23?

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: Using Emacs 22 Courier font in Emacs 23?
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 17:29:49 +0200

Am 16.08.2009 um 15:55 schrieb Nicolas:

I don't think the problem is in libfontconfig: when I open the font in fontforge the glyph size has exactly the same aspect ratio as in Emacs 23 (with a TrueType font).

Glyph size and aspect ratio are uncorrelated things – a small TV set can have an aspect ratio of 16:9 and large screen can have an aspect ration of 4:3.

You can also use some text programme to set text in your font(s), PS and TT variants. Both fonts can be in fontconfig and in X11. Or you use one of the PS examples from Ghostscript and make it use any of these fonts. From the PS font you can gain the AFM data (font metrics), there is ttf2afm to gain the same data from TTF. FontForge also can display such metrics.

Libfontconfig can deliver much more details from a TT or OT font. Such a font can have additional data to insert space between lines. Ten years ago the X server (or window manager?) could be told to insert some or some more space between lines to serve ergonometric reasons. In OpenWindows on Sun Solaris GNU Emacs could follow these...

--
Greetings

  Pete      <\