Re: Emacs 23 does not load nxml but sgml-mode for .xml files?

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Emacs 23 does not load nxml but sgml-mode for .xml files?
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 02:49:06 +0200

On Sat, Aug 15, 2009 at 5:08 PM, Xah Lee<xahlee@gmail.com> wrote:
> on my Windows emacs, when i open a xml file, seems the default mode
> loaded is sgml-mode, not nxml?
>
> is this a bug or intentional?

It is one of those unintentional problems that has not got the
official bug status ;-)

I wrote majmodpri.el (part of nXhtml) to take care of this kind of
problem and suggested that something like it should be included in
Emacs. There has not been any positive response to it yet.

The reason I wrote it was that this problem is much more prominent
when there are multi major modes as an alternative too. (For an xhtml
file for example you could use html-mode, nxml-mode, html-mumamo-mode,
nxhtml-mumamo-mode etc.)