[BUG?] emacs-23.1 OSX emacsclient always opens a new frame

From: Mark Evenson
Subject: [BUG?] emacs-23.1 OSX emacsclient always opens a new frame
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 12:54:05 +0200

[Using a self-compiled emacs-23.1 under i386-apple-darwin9.8.0 configured with the '--with-ns' option.]

In migrating to emacs-23, all does not seem well with the emacsclient command. My Emacs workflow is to not use frames at all. Now, when I invoke 'emacsclient' on a file (without any additional flags) under OSX, it always opens a new frame. Additionally, upon launch, the new frame presents a message of the form "Buffer 'xxx.txt' still has clients, kill it? (yes or no)", with the code execution seeming to be at the point after one issues the 'server-edit' ("C-x #") command. It seems like the 'emacsclient' code doesn't really understand how to open the buffer in the current frame, failing to wait for the server-edit command, and then somehow recovering on the broken socket, but this is just a hunch.

Five minutes of glancing through 'emacsclient.c' wasn't particularly helpful. But maybe my understanding of how Emacs 23 handles Frames needs some education.

is nothing to compare to it now."