Default compile directory

From: Sumit Narayan
Subject: Default compile directory
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 17:12:49 -0400

Hi,

Is there any way to set default compile directory?

The problem: I have a many sub-folders in my project and when I edit a
file deep inside subfolders and do M-x compile, I end up running make
in that subfolder, instead of the root folder. Is there any way for
Emacs to always run compile in the default folder?

One thing I figured was to change default compile command to be: cd
<project's root folder>; make. Is that the only/best way?

Thanks.
Sumit.