Re: Bengali Rendering in Emacs 23

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: Bengali Rendering in Emacs 23
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 11:24:41 +0200

Abu Zaher <zaher14@gmail.com> writes:

Hi,I&#39;m using Ubuntu 9.04, and running emacs-snapshot 20090320. I see that while it can render Bengali characters, it can&#39;t render them in correct order. for eg কো is being rendered as ক‍ো whereas কী is rendering fine. Am I missing any configurations? I suppose there are some rendering issues with Bengali in Emacs, am I right?

Of course! A few oriental scripts change the shape of glyphs when they become neighbours of particular characters. An evolved text processor (for example XeTeX or the Mellel application for Mac OS X, Yudit for Linux) takes from an OpenType font (OTF) information about this. GNU Emacs can partially deliver the same performance by using Pango and lib17n *with* OTF fonts, for which to open GNU Emacs needs to be configured and built with libotf. So it's up to you to install useful Bengali OT fonts on your system.

And of course you can check whether other applications on your Ubuntu system perform the task correctly. When they do and GNU Emacs fails, then the customisation in your or the system's init files can be the cause. To prevent their interference you can launch GNU Emacs with the -Q option.

--
Greetings

  Pete