Re: Meta key definition in a linux console

From: Colin S. Miller
Subject: Re: Meta key definition in a linux console
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 15:14:54 +0100

Olivier Sirven wrote:
"Colin S. Miller" <no-spam-thank-you@csmiller.demon.co.uk> writes:

if you log in using "ssh -X" (capital X, lowercase disables X-forwarding),
then ssh will wrap an X-window connection from
the remote machine back to local machine, and set up any xauth information.
Then you can use the remote emacs as an X application.
Thanks Colin I already know that and that's not want I want. I want to
use emacs in console mode only because I don't want to install X on my
distant servers.

Olivier

Olivier,

You are probably aware of this, but for the benefit of others,
to run an X-application on a remote machine via ssh,
it is not necessary to install X on the remote machine,
only the libraries for the X application, and xauth.

For emacs21 the .so list (from /proc/pid/maps) is

ld-2.7      libc-2.7     libdl-2.7
libgif      libICE       libjpeg
libm-2.7    libncurses   libnsl-2.7
libnss_compat-2.7 libnss_files-2.7 libnss_nis-2.7
libpng12    libSM        libtiff
libX11      libXau       libXaw3d
libxcb      libxcb-xlib  libXcursor
libXdmcp    libXext      libXfixes
libXmu      libXpm       libXrender
libXt       libz

Colin S. Miller

--
Replace the obvious in my email address with the first three letters of the
hostname to reply.