RE: moving around multiple buffers

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: moving around multiple buffers
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 08:17:19 -0700

> I know how to do the splitting, but I am curious about what people use
> to move around.  Using C-x o (other-window) is a pain with many
> windows, same applies to selecting buffers by name (at least for me),
> and I want to avoid using the mouse for this.  I am thinking of
> something like "move to buffer B, regardless of what is there".

`icicle-select-window':

Select window by its name.
With no prefix arg, candidate windows are those of the selected frame.
With a prefix arg, windows of all visible frames are candidates.

A window name is the name of its displayed buffer, but suffixed as
needed by [NUMBER], to make the name unique.  For example, if you have
two windows showing buffer *Help*, one of the windows will be called
`*Help*[2]' for use with this command.

By default, `C-x o' does this in Icicles:

No prefix arg - almost same as vanilla Emacs:
  If multiple windows in frame, then `other-window'; else `other-frame'

`C-0 C-x o' - If multiple windows in frame, `icicle-select-window';
  else `icicle-select-frame' (analog to window)

`C-u C-x o' - Like `C-o C-x o', but windows in all frames are candidates.