Re: Bengali Rendering in Emacs 23

From: Abu Zaher
Subject: Re: Bengali Rendering in Emacs 23
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 13:32:46 +0700

On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 11:01 AM, Jason Rumney <jasonrumney@gmail.com> wrote:
On Aug 18, 1:32 am, Abu Zaher <zahe...@gmail.com> wrote:

> eg কো is being rendered as ক‍ো

Firefox on Windows XP shows both those the same, so I think this must
be a common rendering problem. Emacs on Windows on the other hand
displays them differently (but I can't tell if it is correct ).

I would guess that the problem is with libotf or libm17n, have you
tried looking for updated versions of those libraries? If you are
relying on the version your GNU/Linux distribution provides it may be
too old, you probably need to build those libraries yourself from an
up to date source to get proper support for many Indic scripts.  Also,
your font may be lacking the information required to compose it
correctly, or have the information in a format that libotf cannot
recognize, so try different fonts.

Well (gedit) gnome shows they glyphs correctly with pango, so I think there is no problem with these fonts. But not sure about the libs, I'll try to compile them and let you guys know.

On Windows I have the font
"Vrinda", which I think was from a source of Free fonts, but Windows
uses a different OTF engine, so there is no guarantee that will work
with libotf.

--
Regards
Abu Zaher Md. Faridee

http://zaher14.blogspot.com/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/apertium/
---
Time heals every wound, but time itself is a wound that never heals.