This code won't match buffer names. Why not?

From: Chris Seberino
Subject: This code won't match buffer names. Why not?
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 17:31:56 -0700 (PDT)

When I cycle through buffers, I'd like to skip *scratch*, *Messages*
and *Whitespace Errors* buffers.

I wrote following code to skip one more buffer if I'm sitting in
either of those 3.

However, it never matches those buffers.  Why not?

(BTW, the (end-kbd-macro) is just a dummy function since "if" needs an
"else" command.
Is there a better dummy command I can add there?)

; Sets F10 to execute a function that moves to another buffer.
(global-set-key [f10] (lambda () (interactive)
                                 (next-buffer)
                                 (if (equal (current-buffer)
"*scratch*")
                                     (next-buffer)