Re: Tracking down why emacsclient -c is so slow

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: Tracking down why emacsclient -c is so slow
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2009 12:35:00 +0200

Am 22.08.2009 um 10:10 schrieb Alex Bennee:

The current delays I'm seeing are a little excessive

I'm using old Apple hardware (almost six years old), an old Apple OS (Tiger, i.e., Mac OS X 10.4), a slow CPU (PowerPC 7447A at 1.5 GHz, 512 kB L2 cache), a slow graphics card (ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 RV360M11 with 64 MB), and also an outdated X server (XFree 86 4.4.0 based). The window manager is Blackbox. GNU Emacs 23.1.50 is compiled with debug support. After two, maybe three seconds, the first frame appears when I launch GNU Emacs with -Q, and also when I leave away the -Q, but then it takes some ten seconds until the Emacs desktop is rebuilt and I can start to use GNU Emacs. Emacsclient -c is faster, say, one second.

Compared to native Aqua/Quartz applications it's lightning fast. Compared to GNU Emacs 18.57 (?) it's slower than a snail.

How much time do you have to wait until OpenOffice appears on your screen? Gkrellm? You can also use the *trace commands in Linux to see what happens at launch time. And afterwards.

Is the situation improved when you use GNU Emacs 23.1 from some installer package? Or is it improved when you compile it yourself, optimised for your hard- and software?

--
Greetings

  Pete

Chicago, n.:
        Where the dead still vote ... early and often!