No auto login from gnus

From: notbob
Subject: No auto login from gnus
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2009 14:08:39 GMT

I've set up a new box and most things look ok, but I still can't get
gnus to login to my nntp server without having to do it manually each
time.  I got the server ok, my .authinfo file looks good, I've got my
old customized .emacs file working.  I'm stumped.  Seems there's a
variable somewhere I'm missing.  The one that grabs the info in the
~/.authinfo file and uses it.  Works ok on my other box, but not this
one, despite same ver of linux and emacs.  I'm even letting my dribble
file run amok and saving it.  What am I missing?

Here's my .authinfo file:

machine us.Usenet-News.net login notbob@pp.newsgroups.user password
xxxxxxxx port 119 force yes

Also, a seemingly related sympton is the fact I can get no new news
once I have gnus working and want to get new unread articles using the
g key.  I have to log out and log back in to my nntp server.  This
despite having my nntp server indicated in my .bash files,
/etc/nntpserver file, and my ~/.gnus.el file.  Somehow, I suspect
these two problems are related.  What am I missing?

nb