Re: Help to view .doc files with no-word.el & antiword please

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: Re: Help to view .doc files with no-word.el & antiword please
Date: 24 Aug 2009 07:52:46 GMT

rpd wrote:
> Thanks for your reply. I do not know why my Emacs cannot find antiword!
> I have it in my PATH env.

are you sure? according to your settings, antiword.exe is in
C:\Users\Dad\antiword\. that is not normally a directory that's in the shell's
PATH.

> Now I have changed my code to:
>
> ;;;;==========View WORD.doc with noword.el & antiword====================
> ;;;
> ;;requires antiword
> (add-to-list 'load-path "C:\\Users\\Dad\\antiword")
> (add-to-list 'exec-path "C:\\Users\\Dad\\antiword\\antiword.exe")

btw, this is most likely wrong. exec-path is supposed to be a list of
*directories*, not files. also, no-word uses shell-command-on-region to call
antiword, so it's the shell's PATH setting that's relevant, not emacs's.

> An error has occurred while loading `c:/Users/Dad/.emacs':
>
> Invalid read syntax: #
>
> To ensure normal operation, you should investigate and remove the
> cause of the error in your initialization file.  Start Emacs with
> the `--debug-init' option to view a complete error backtrace.
>
> What is #?

it's the character `#'. ;-)

> Where has this bug come from? All I have done is change my original .emacs
> code I posted earlier to the version I show now!

well, emacs finds a hash character somewhere in there, apparently... perhaps in
a file that's loaded in .emacs?

--
Joost Kremers                                      joostkremers@yahoo.com
EN:SiS(9)