Re: Help to view .doc files with no-word.el & antiword please

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: Re: Help to view .doc files with no-word.el & antiword please
Date: 25 Aug 2009 12:20:17 GMT

rpd wrote:

> Joost
> Thanks for your further advice but when I try M-x no-word-find-file
>
> I get this error message:
> I can't open '~/Charliemissing.doc' for reading
>
> (am I in the right directory? it should be C:\Users\Dad\Charliemissing.doc)
>
> Anymore ideas?

emacs on windows (at least vista, haven't tried other versions) thinks a user's
home directory is "C:\Users\<username>\Application Data\some_subdir" for
some reason i don't understand. so the tilde character ~ expands to that, not to
C:\Users\<username>, as one might expect.

if you type the full path to the file, it should work. (or, IMHO the better
option, create a HOME environment variable and set it to "C:\Users\<username>".
google should have info on how to do that.)

--
Joost Kremers                                      joostkremers@yahoo.com
EN:SiS(9)