Re: partial completion and switch-to-buffer

From: Tobias Gerdin
Subject: Re: partial completion and switch-to-buffer
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 17:28:11 +0200

Xah Lee <xahlee@gmail.com> writes:

> On Aug 21, 7:20 am, Tobias Gerdin <t...@opera.com> wrote:
>> Greetings,
>>
>> With the advent of partial-completion-mode in Emacs 23, I was wondering
>> if there isn't any way to use this mechanism with switch-to-buffer ("C-x b")?
>>
>> Switch-to-buffer still seems to do only prefix-matching.
>>
>> I am aware of iswitch-mode and ido-mode, which does substring matching
>> (which is basically what I want), but find them too obtrusive. I do not
>> want any completion to be done unless I say so (by pressing <tab>).
>>
>> I'm using Emacs CVS from 2009-07-30 (i.e. pretty much 23.1).
>
> so far as my studie goes, the partial completition does not always
> works, perhaps by intention. However, wildcard works. So, just put a
> wildcard “*” in front first.

Thank you.  I thought I tried that and found that it didn't work but it
did. However, I would really like not need to put the star there, since
it's a shifted char on my layout and really slows things down. Would
have been nice if a partial match was attempted directly. Since the list
of buffers is available in memory even a partial search should be very
quick.

I think I will just cook up something simple by myself, but I
find it odd that a stock Emacs doesn't do it this way.

-Tobias