Re: vc in emacs problem with git

From: Anselm Helbig
Subject: Re: vc in emacs problem with git
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 23:10:03 +0200

At Thu, 27 Aug 2009 21:44:33 +0530,
Rustom Mody <rustompmody@gmail.com> wrote:

> Just updating my own question:
> when I do a C-x v v (vc-next-action)
> which is supposed to be the most basic operation for checking in a file I get
>
>  Wrong type argument: stringp, nil
>
> So vc can be assumed to be a broken I guess?

I had a similar problem. The cause was an old git.el I had lying
around. You should check if vc-git works when you turn off all
customization, i.e. with emacs -Q. Another possible source of old git
support files might be your OS. Debian and friends automatically
install git support for emacs along with the git package. Loading it
is disabled here for Emacs 23, though (Ubuntu Jaunty).

HTH,

Anselm

--
Anselm Helbig