Re: Advanced C struct programming : data structure design and implement

From: bolega
Subject: Re: Advanced C struct programming : data structure design and implementation in C / John W.L. Ogilvie
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 23:12:35 -0700 (PDT)

Book Review
Advanced C Struct Programming by John W.L. Ogilvie
Highly Recommended
ISBN: 0-471-51943-X       Publisher: Wiley       Pages: 405pp
Price: £22.95

Categories:   advanced c     data structures
Reviewed by Francis Glassborow in C Vu 3-2 (Jan 1991)

This is the kind of book that I might easily miss on a casual visit to
my local bookshop. In all honesty my first impression when I opened it
was not that good. It is aimed at people who wish to take programming
seriously yet it first seemed more like the kind of text that I am
used to finding on the hobbyists shelves. It is much better than that.
When you have mastered the foothills of programming in C, have a good
runtime library reference on your shelf and, perhaps, have invested in
a book on data structures and another on programming algorithms or
techniques what do you get to help you develop good medium size
programs (all right large ones if you must)?

If you had asked my advice a month ago, I would have hummed and hawed
and come up with a couple of titles and then suggested that what you
really wanted was a book on program/data design rather than one on C.

Advanced C Struct Programming tackles this need. The author's declared
intent is to present a practical method for designing and implementing
complex (complicated) data structures in C. In doing so he leads you
through experience (sometimes of false trails) in tackling a number of
different programming problems.

The book does not include complete applications or libraries of source
code. It is a book to be worked through. By the time you have finished
it you should be a much better programmer. Let me warn you that it is
not a book to dip into in that odd spare moment. If that is all you
have time for then go and do something else.

On the other hand it is not like some of the books above that will
take you years to fully grasp (if ever). Buy this book, set aside a
regular time to work at it, stick to your routine and find yourself
becoming far more professional in your programming.

Yes, I like it and it is not machine dependant. For once I am glad
that the supporting discs are relatively expensive ($39.95 in IBM and
Apple Mac formats) as I think that you will only get the full benefit
by grafting at the keyboard yourself.

Last Update - 13 May 2001.

To link to this review, please use the URL:
http://www.accu.org/bookreviews/public/reviews/a/a000142.htm

Copyright © The Association of C & C++ Users 1998-2000. All rights
reserved.
Mirrored from http://www.accu.org/