Re: keyboard copy paste

From: Harry Putnam
Subject: Re: keyboard copy paste
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2009 13:09:14 -0500

Anselm Helbig <anselm.helbig+news2009@googlemail.com> writes:

> At Sun, 30 Aug 2009 11:17:06 -0500,
> Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> wrote:
>>
>> How can I copy and paste with the keybard between application windows.
>> I think I remember knowing how to do this at some time in the past but
>> now just coming up blank as to how.
>>
>> I want to copy something in Emacs... ok .. no problem.. there are many
>> ways with keyboard inside emacs.
>>
>> Now I want to paste whats on the clipboard into an Xterm cmd line,
>> without going to the mouse.
>>
>> I'm running recent Xfce4 desktop... but not finding a way to do this.
>>
>> Can I just steal whatever events happen when middle click on three
>> button mouse and put them into a keyboard shortcut?
>>
>> How might I do that?
>
> Shift-Insert does the trick.

Nice... thank you... and of course now I remember having known that
before..

Here is a harder one:

firefox.

I thought that <enter> would activate hyperlinks focused using tab as
above.   The firefox list of keyboard shortcuts (in its help file)
does not appear to show a keyboard shortcut that activates a
hyperlink.

On many webpages... the enter key DOES activate the hyperlinks... but
not at the URL below... for me.

   http://www.lynda.com/home/ViewCourses.aspx?lpk0=395

It may be related to the fact that I currently have an account there
and my browser is recognized as being a subscribed users
browser... but far as I know those particular links are just
navigational and are open to the public.

And anyway... is it even possible for a site to do something to cause
the enter key not to activate hyperlinks?

I'd be curious to hear if your browser can activate those links (with
enter key or any other combo you can find).

(The ones pertaining to After Effects - Just to limit the scope a bit)