Turning off antialiasing

From: Oliver Scholz
Subject: Turning off antialiasing
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 10:18:23 +0200

I just upgraded to Emacs 23.1. Good work! I have not explored everything
yet, but I am already impressed. I like the little details, like that
isearch now displays which characters make the search fail. And with the
new internal coding system, I finally have combining diacritics. Yay!
(As soon as I find a font with the right glyphs I can finally write
so-called "umlauts" as they were intended, when I cite from German
baroque literature. I have been waiting for that for a long time!) Also,
Emacs' new appearance is nice and shiny. I find the new default font a
good choice, although I am not sure that I personally like it. But it
certainly gives Emacs a modern appearance.

Of course, upgrading broke a couple of things in my .emacs, as is to be
expected from a major upgrade. I'll fix it all, eventually. One thing,
though, is rather urgent for me:

Antialiasing, while looking pretty, lets the characters seem slightly
blurred, which, after a while, starts to hurt my eyes and gives me a
headache.

Is there a way to turn antialiasing off, preferably without changing the
font backend? If not, will there be one in the future? Ideally, I'd like
to turn it off on a per-face basis; antialisasing is painful for me only
with the default face, since it's this face in which I read large chunks
of text on the screen.

Unless I overlooked something, I suppose the only way right now to deal
with it, is to use X ressources to prohibit Emacs from using xft,
thereby turning off antialiasing entirely. Is that right? Or is there at
least a way to keep using xft and turn antialiasing off from Lisp, which
I'd prefer?

    Oliver
--
15 Fructidor an 217 de la Révolution