Re: Emacs 23 - unable to use mouse scroll on windows vista

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Emacs 23 - unable to use mouse scroll on windows vista
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 16:59:07 -0700 (PDT)

On Sep 3, 11:45 pm, fkunze <fku...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Running C-h k and scrolling the mouse in the other buffer returns:
>
>     <vertical-scroll-bar> <mouse-1> (translated from <mouse-1>) at
> that
>     spot runs the command scroll-bar-toolkit-scroll, which is an
>     interactive compiled Lisp function in `scroll-bar.el'.
>
>     It is bound to <vertical-scroll-bar> <mouse-1>.
>
>     (scroll-bar-toolkit-scroll event)
>
>     Not documented.

The scroll-wheel mapping to a scroll-bar mouse-1 event points to the
drivers not implementing scroll-wheel functionality, but using their
own heuristic to find the scroll bars and move them. I don't know why
so many laptop drivers do this (perhaps it is just one pointing device
manufacturer that is widely used).

> Some posts suggest that replacing the vendor-supplied mouse drivers
> might solve this problem, but in my case I will lose the functionality
> offered by IBM and Lenovo's trackpoint mouse.  Does anyone know how to
> work around this problem?

The options are:

1. Live with the current broken behaviour caused by the mouse drivers.
2. Switch to generic mouse drivers and lose the manufacturer's extra
functionality.
3. Complain to the manufacturer.
4. Write your own drivers.

There is nothing you can do from within Emacs, as the events it is
getting from your mouse driver are already mangled.