Re: gutter region on both sides of screen

From: J. David Boyd
Subject: Re: gutter region on both sides of screen
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2009 13:04:36 -0400

> Emacs 21 introduced fringe as a feature, but AFAIK provided no way to
> turn it off. This is a good example of how not to add a new
> feature. ;-)
>
> In Emacs 21, there is no function or variable with `fringe' in its
> name, and I know of no function or variable that can be used to remove
> the fringe.
>
> You can customize the face `fringe', to (for example) make its
> background color the same as the frame's background color - that will
> make the fringe seem to disappear, at least: `M-x customize-face RET
> fringe RET'.
>
> The best suggestion, if it's feasible for you, is to upgrade to a more
> recent Emacs release. Emacs 22 is quite stable. Emacs 23 was just
> released recently.  Starting with Emacs 22, it is easy to wear no
> fringe. ;-)

It's actually not the color of the fringe that bothers me, it is the
little 'wrap' characters that I don't like.  I'm looking at a file where
the lines are about 500 char long, and the little clockwise and
counterclockwise symbols that tell me the line is wrapping bother me.
They are visual nose that I don't need.  I _know_ the line is wrapping.

I can't find where to turn those off either, or what the glyphs are
called.

Dave