RE: gutter region on both sides of screen

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: gutter region on both sides of screen
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2009 10:25:28 -0700

> It's actually not the color of the fringe that bothers me, it is the
> little 'wrap' characters that I don't like.  I'm looking at a
> file where the lines are about 500 char long, and the little clockwise and
> counterclockwise symbols that tell me the line is wrapping bother me.
> They are visual nose that I don't need.  I _know_ the line is
> wrapping.
>
> I can't find where to turn those off either, or what the glyphs are
> called.

Maybe someone else can help; I don't know the answer.

A quick search through the Emacs-Lisp source code for `glyph' and `wrap' (and of
course `fringe') didn't turn up anything, and I don't have a copy of the C
sources for Emacs 21.

(In more recent Emacs versions, much of the fringe stuff (e.g.
`define-fringe-bitmap' is in C code, and most of the rest is in `fringe.el' or
`menu-bar.el'.)

No doubt someone can help with more info.

I'd still say try to upgrade to Emacs 22 or 23. Or upgrade to Emacs 20 (yes, I
mean UPgrade ;-) ).