Emacs 23 info files problem

From: David Hodge
Subject: Emacs 23 info files problem
Date: Sat, 05 Sep 2009 10:38:53 +0800

Hi all,

Using the 23.1 emacs snapshot on Ubuntu Jaunty.

When I try to use info I get the following behaviour

1. Selecting Info  from the toolbar Help menu or  C-h r  (ie read the emacs
manual) i get

info-file-exists-p: Wrong number of arguments: #[(filename suffix lfn) "ƒ
P‡Æ     !ÇÈ    GGÉ#]ÊÇXƒ( ‰GSHË=ƒ4
GÇU„4
ÉÊOÇÌ
GZ]^   Ç       G
ZZO
P+‡"

2. Doing it the second time gives me the info directory, with the error in
an electric buffer that disappears.

So i thought emacs-snapshot might be at fault/out of date so i
downloaded the 23.1 distribution from GNU and built it, and lo and
behold, the same issue.

If someone has advice of where i could start looking for the problem,
I'd be greateful.

Cheers

David