Re: Emacs 23 info files problem

From: Andreas Politz
Subject: Re: Emacs 23 info files problem
Date: Sat, 05 Sep 2009 12:16:03 +0200

David Hodge <dbh@NOSPAMhodge.id.au> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> Using the 23.1 emacs snapshot on Ubuntu Jaunty.
>
> When I try to use info I get the following behaviour
>
> 1. Selecting Info  from the toolbar Help menu or  C-h r  (ie read the emacs
> manual) i get
>
> info-file-exists-p: Wrong number of arguments: #[(filename suffix lfn) "ƒ

A while ago the debian people decided that the emacs manual does not
meet their idea of free software and they put it in the non-free
section.

$ aptitude show emacs23-common-non-dfsg

Package: emacs23-common-non-dfsg
State: installed
 GNU Emacs is the extensible self-documenting text editor.  This package
 contains the architecture independent infrastructure that is not
 compliant with the Debian Free Software Guidelines.  In particular,
 this includes some of the GNU Emacs info pages, as they are covered
 under the GFDL, and they specify invariant sections. See
 http://www.debian.org/vote/2006/vote_001 for more information.

Check if that package is installed on your system.

-ap