Re: trouble turning off visual line mode

From: Allan Gottlieb
Subject: Re: trouble turning off visual line mode
Date: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 11:08:40 -0400

At Sun, 06 Sep 2009 17:55:38 -0400 Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@nyu.edu> wrote:

> I have the following function in my .emacs
>
> ;; Want auto-fill and not visual-line-mode
> ;; Define the function here; add to hook via customize
> (defun ajg-html-visual-off-fill-on ()
>   "For html, turn OFF visual-line-mode and turn-ON auto fill"
>   (message "ckpt 1")
>   (visual-line-mode -1)
>   (message "ckpt 2")
>   (auto-fill-mode 1)
>   (message "ckpt 3")
>   )
>
> I have it put in the html-mode-hook via
>
> (custom-set-variables
>  '(html-mode-hook (quote (ajg-alter-electric-html-tag
> ajg-html-visual-off-fill-on)))
> )
>
> Yet when I visit an html file
> auto-fill-mode is turned on as expected but
> visual-line-mode is *not* turned off.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
> thanks,
> allan
>
> PS.
>
> All three ckpt msgs are in *Message*, with nothing in between
> The mode line shows wrap and fill

I am pretty sure this is a bug.  It involves hooks but does not involve
custom-set-variable as I had erroneously suggested above.

Have /tmp/fun.el contain
(defun visual-off-fill-on ()
  "For html, turn OFF visual-line-mode and turn-ON auto fill"
  (visual-line-mode 0)
  (auto-fill-mode 1))

Start emacs -Q
(load-file "/tmp/fun.el")
(global-visual-line-mode)
(add-hook 'html-mode-hook 'visual-off-fill-on)
(find-file "/tmp/x.html")   ; non-existent file

mode line shows fill as expected, but also shows wrap, the bug.

However, if one does instead

Start emacs -Q
(load-file "/tmp/fun.el")
(global-visual-line-mode)
(find-file "/tmp/x.html")   ; non-existent file
(visual-off-fill-on)

then all is well (mode line shows fill and not wrap).

I plan on filing a bug report.

allan