Re: Windows: setting up dictionary and thesaurus?

From: Elena
Subject: Re: Windows: setting up dictionary and thesaurus?
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2009 04:31:54 -0700 (PDT)

On 7 Set, 18:09, Elena <egarr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7 Set, 17:53, "Drew Adams" <drew.ad...@oracle.com> wrote:
>
> > Look here:http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/CategoryWriting
>
> Thank you again, Drew.
>
> I should have been more specific. I did check the Wiki following your
> previous advice and I managed to setup the whole thing on Linux, but
> on Windows I've not been able to setup the 'dict' server. Since on
> Linux the package manager took care of installing 'dict' server and
> dictionaries, I don't know how to repeat steps on Windows.

After much wrestling with various 'dict' servers, without any success,
I've found an alternative solution which employs WordNet's dictionary.
Warning: it behaves weirdly with Icicles ('icy-mode').

Here we go:
- download WordNet dictionary setup from here:

http://wordnet.princeton.edu/wordnet/download/

- add binaries folder to exec-path and enviroment PATH (adjust paths
according to your own installation):

(setq exec-path (append exec-path "C:/Programmi/WordNet/2.1/bin"))
(setenv "PATH" (concat "C:\\Programmi\\WordNet\\2.1\\bin" path-
separator (getenv "PATH")))

- download http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/wn-org.el:

(require 'wn-org)

- ready to go: M-x wn-org-search