occasional pause (or stutter) on win32 emacs 23.0.95

From: Matthew Daniel
Subject: occasional pause (or stutter) on win32 emacs 23.0.95
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2009 16:26:48 -0400

Hello,

I honestly tried searching for other occurrences of my problem in the
mailing list archives, but unfortunately "pause" is also the name of
an elisp function.

Periodically, emacs will pause - often with the Windows hourglass. It
does accept my keystrokes, because when it "releases" they appear in
the current buffer. These pauses last about 3 seconds, and I would not
characterize them as variable in length. I have not found any
systematic way of inducing the pause, but they happen pretty
frequently during a C-x C-s sequence.

I have experienced this on both Windows XP 32-bit and Windows Vista
64-bit, on two separate machines (both Dells, and their only
commonality is that they both use an Intel X-25M SSD).

My question is not necessarily "what is causing this", as I understand
that my description is very hand-wavey. However, if someone can tell
me what to check for, or how one would go about troubleshooting this
behavior, I will do my best to help me help you help me. :-)

I have already tried starting `emacs.exe -q --no-site-file` to ensure
it isn't some local configuration problem.

 Any insight will be greatly appreciated,
 -- /v\atthew

p.s. please excuse this if it sends twice, I didn't have any luck the
first time I tried to send it.