Re: Moving from Thunderbird to Emacs for mail and calendar

From: Torsten Mueller
Subject: Re: Moving from Thunderbird to Emacs for mail and calendar
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2009 14:40:31 +0200

Andreas Politz <politza@fh-trier.de> wrote:

> > > Yes, especially if it can use the w3m text browser + emacs-w3m
> > > to render the messages. w3m would need to be installed
> > > separately, but I don't know if it works on Windows.
> >
> > It does, very well.
>
> Is there are binary to be found somewhere ?

http://ftp.uni-erlangen.de/pub/pc/gnuwin32/cygwin/mirrors/cygnus/release/w3m/w3m-0.5.1-2.tar.bz2

This binary is compiled for cygwin but the package is standalone. This
means it contains all the required dlls. You will not have to install
a complete cygwin environment. Just unpack and run w3m.exe.

For use with emacs you will need to install the emacs-w3m package.
You will have to configure some things in .emacs:

1. The path to the binary:

(setq w3m-command "c:/usr/local/w3m-0.5.1-2/bin/w3m.exe")

2. The load-path to the lisp directory:

(setq load-path (append load-path
'("c:/usr/local/emacs-22.2.1/site-lisp/w3m/lisp")))

3. Load the w3m lisp module:

(load-library "w3m.elc")

Note: This line in a .emacs will slow down the startup process
dramatically. Perhaps it's a better way to put this into a function
("load-w3m" or similar) and call this on demand (M-x load-w3m).

4. And if you use Gnus - set w3m to render your HTML mails:

(setq mm-text-html-renderer 'w3m
      mm-inline-text-html-with-images t
      mm-inline-large-images t
)