Re: Moving from Thunderbird to Emacs for mail and calendar

From: Jeff Clough
Subject: Re: Moving from Thunderbird to Emacs for mail and calendar
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2009 09:48:12 -0400

Okay, I've looked at Gnus, as well as VM and have some questions. I'm also having a weird problem in trying just to send mail from Emacs. See below if you'd like to know more and think you can help out. I'm still looking for any other packages people actually use for email in emacs under windows so don't be shy! On the calendar front, I'll be giving org-mode the once over later today.

Thanks!

Jeff

P.S.

Gnus

I've looked at Gnus. It uses the "paradigm" of newsgroups for everything. I'd rather not have to retrain my brain for something as trivial as reading email, but let's just say I'm willing. Is there a way to see "I do not have an NNTP server, so please don't bother me about it anymore"? It looks like I can set a variable so that gnus will ignore the email side of things, but I can't find something similar for news.

VM

I've also taken a glance at VM and would like to go further, but I see no direct evidence that it works with Emacs 22.x. Is anyone using VM with a recent Emacs on Windows XP?

Sending Mail

In the process of all this looking, I decided to try to get *sending* mail to work. I hear tell from this faq (http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/windows/Network-access.html) that emacs can "talk directly to SMTP mail servers" via smtpmail.el. I stuffed the following in my .emacs:

(setq user-full-name "Your full name")
(setq user-mail-address "Your@email.address")
(setq smtpmail-default-smtp-server "domain.name.of.your.smtp.server")
(setq send-mail-command 'smtpmail-send-it) ; For mail-mode (Rmail)

Did C-x m, wrote stuff, did C-c C-c and promptly got a Thunderbird window popping up the message (well, actually it told me to paste the message in because the text had been conveniently dropped on my clipboard, thankfully obliterating what was there before). Is there a way to stop this from happening and for Emacs to just send it itself? "Talk directly to SMTP mail servers" doesn't mean "Fire up another application" in my opinion.

Still looking for suggestions/experiences with other mail packages, and am planning to give org-mode the once over later today. Thanks for getting me pointed in the right direction!

P.P.S.

Before anyone seriously suggests moving to linux as a solution to my problem (which seems dangerously near), let me just clarify something. I'm well aware of my options in that regard and am very familiar with all things *nixen. Switching from Windows XP to *nix for email is not going to happen. Not at all. And I'm not interested in explaining why I won't or listening to why I should.

Installing, configuring and maintaining an IMAP server in order to read and search my mail is also not going to happen. An ancient version of Eudora on my dad's old Mac LC could let me read my mail, *and* find my messages, without having to run such a thing. And it did it for thousands of messages without flinching. If a piece of software here in the modern world can't handle it, the answer is to not use that software.

I prefer my mail to always be in bsd mbox files because that's still what 90% of the world expects your mail to be in, can be manipulated by any code that operates on text files and doesn't break when I move from OS to OS. And speed shouldn't be a factor when your mua does proper indexing.

--

Author of the Genesys System
A "free" universal role-playing game.