Re: Moving from Thunderbird to Emacs for mail and calendar

From: Richard Riley
Subject: Re: Moving from Thunderbird to Emacs for mail and calendar
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2009 16:35:03 +0200

Jeff Clough <jeff@chaosphere.com> writes:

> Okay, I've looked at Gnus, as well as VM and have some questions.  I'm
> also having a weird problem in trying just to send mail from Emacs.  See
> below if you'd like to know more and think you can help out.  I'm still
> looking for any other packages people actually use for email in emacs
> under windows so don't be shy!  On the calendar front, I'll be giving
> org-mode the once over later today.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jeff
>
> P.S.
>
> Gnus
>
> I've looked at Gnus.  It uses the "paradigm" of newsgroups for
> everything.  I'd rather not have to retrain my brain for something as
> trivial as reading email, but let's just say I'm willing.  Is there a

Theres nothing to retrain. You see a "group" and your email is in
there. No paradigm shift at all.

> way to see "I do not have an NNTP server, so please don't bother me
> about it anymore"?  It looks like I can set a variable so that gnus will
> ignore the email side of things, but I can't find something similar for
> news.

Just dont subscribe to any news groups.

> VM
>
> I've also taken a glance at VM and would like to go further, but I see
> no direct evidence that it works with Emacs 22.x.  Is anyone using VM
> with a recent Emacs on Windows XP?
>
> Sending Mail
>
> In the process of all this looking, I decided to try to get *sending*
> mail to work.  I hear tell from this faq
> (http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/windows/Network-access.html) that
> emacs can "talk directly to SMTP mail servers" via smtpmail.el.  I
> stuffed the following in my .emacs:
>
> (setq user-full-name "Your full name")
> (setq user-mail-address "Your@email.address")
> (setq smtpmail-default-smtp-server "domain.name.of.your.smtp.server")
>
> (setq send-mail-command 'smtpmail-send-it) ; For mail-mode (Rmail)
>

> Did C-x m, wrote stuff, did C-c C-c and promptly got a Thunderbird
> window popping up the message (well, actually it told me to paste the
> message in because the text had been conveniently dropped on my
> clipboard, thankfully obliterating what was there before).  Is there a
> way to stop this from happening and for Emacs to just send it itself?
> "Talk directly to SMTP mail servers" doesn't mean "Fire up another
> application" in my opinion.

Never heard of anything like that before. Emacs doesn't launch
thunderbird.

> Still looking for suggestions/experiences with other mail packages, and
> am planning to give org-mode the once over later today.  Thanks for
> getting me pointed in the right direction!
>
> P.P.S.

> Before anyone seriously suggests moving to linux as a solution to my
> problem (which seems dangerously near), let me just clarify something.
> I'm well aware of my options in that regard and am very familiar with
> all things *nixen.  Switching from Windows XP to *nix for email is not
> going to happen.  Not at all.  And I'm not interested in explaining why
> I won't or listening to why I should.
>
> Installing, configuring and maintaining an IMAP server in order to read
> and search my mail is also not going to happen.  An ancient version of
> Eudora on my dad's old Mac LC could let me read my mail, *and* find my
> messages, without having to run such a thing.  And it did it for
> thousands of messages without flinching.  If a piece of software here in
> the modern world can't handle it, the answer is to not use that
> software.

Gnus is possibly the most powerful email/usenet client out there. And
quite why you seem to think people would suggest you move to Linux for
your email client is rather baffling.