Re: Moving from Thunderbird to Emacs for mail and calendar

From: Jeff Clough
Subject: Re: Moving from Thunderbird to Emacs for mail and calendar
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2009 13:55:38 -0400

Jeff Clough wrote:
Sending Mail

In the process of all this looking, I decided to try to get *sending* mail to work. I hear tell from this faq (http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/windows/Network-access.html) that emacs can "talk directly to SMTP mail servers" via smtpmail.el. I stuffed the following in my .emacs:

(setq user-full-name "Your full name")
(setq user-mail-address "Your@email.address")
(setq smtpmail-default-smtp-server "domain.name.of.your.smtp.server")
    (setq send-mail-command 'smtpmail-send-it) ; For mail-mode (Rmail)

Did C-x m, wrote stuff, did C-c C-c and promptly got a Thunderbird window popping up the message (well, actually it told me to paste the message in because the text had been conveniently dropped on my clipboard, thankfully obliterating what was there before). Is there a way to stop this from happening and for Emacs to just send it itself? "Talk directly to SMTP mail servers" doesn't mean "Fire up another application" in my opinion.

Alright, one thing solved:

The last line of lisp above should be setting send-mail-function, not send-mail-command. Changing that, fixed it so I can send mail via Emacs without Thunderbird getting involved. I stumbled across a message (here: http://groups.google.com/group/gnu.emacs.gnus/browse_thread/thread/a42ca24f5d540d35) that clued me in. Apparently if you don't set this variable now, Emacs does in fact toss the buffer at your default mailer.

Given the faq I mentioned in my original post appears to have it wrong, how do I go about filing a doc bug?

Jeff

--

Author of the Genesys System
A "free" universal role-playing game.