Re: Perfect python environment

From: Neal Becker
Subject: Re: Perfect python environment
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 19:23:51 -0400

>>> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs/PythonMode
>>> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs/anything-ipython.el
>>>
>> Thanks!  I installed anything-ipython, and now in ipython shell, I have
>> completions.
>>
>> I also added:
>> (add-hook 'python-mode-hook #'(lambda ()
>>                                 (define-key py-mode-map (kbd "C-<tab>")
>> 'anything-ipython-complete)))
>> (add-hook 'ipython-shell-hook #'(lambda ()
>>                                   (define-key py-mode-map (kbd "C-<tab>")
>> 'anything-ipython-complete)))
>> (require 'anything-show-completion)
>
> It seem your configuration of anything-ipython is wrong, be sure to read
> carefully the instructions in anything-ipython.el.
> I can't reproduce your error.
> Here is my config:
>
> ,----[ Config thierry anything-ipython ]
> | (require 'anything-ipython)
> | (add-hook 'python-mode-hook #'(lambda ()
> |                                 (define-key py-mode-map (kbd "M-<tab>")
> |                                 'anything-ipython-complete)))
> | (add-hook 'ipython-mode-hook #'(lambda ()
> |                                   (define-key py-mode-map (kbd
> |                                   "M-<tab>")
> |                                   'anything-ipython-complete)))
> |
> | (add-hook 'ipython-shell-hook #'(lambda ()
> |                                   (define-key py-mode-map (kbd
> |                                   "M-<tab>")
> |                                   'anything-ipython-complete)))
> | (when (require 'anything-show-completion nil t)
> |   (use-anything-show-completion 'anything-ipython-complete
> |                                 '(length initial-pattern)))
> | (define-key py-mode-map (kbd "C-c M")
> | 'anything-ipython-import-modules-from-buffer)
> `----
>
> To have completion in python buffer (i.e in your python file, not the
> shell) you have to start first the ipython interpreter, and then load
> all the modules you have in your python file.
> Load modules one by one in ipython interpreter or use from your file
> C-c M (see above).
> Be sure also to setup python-mode (PYTHON-MODE, not the bad one that
> come with emacs) correctly.
> Let me know if you have more problems.

It seems if I don't use C-c M then I get the traceback I showed.  Also if
there are no completions I get that assertion (Assertion failed: header-
pos).  For example:

-----
import os
os.fcn
-----

Try to complete os.fcn gives that assertion.

python-mode.el is 5.1.0.  emacs is 23.1.1.