Re: confused about emacs 23 in daemon mode

From: Daniel Pittman
Subject: Re: confused about emacs 23 in daemon mode
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2009 13:24:01 +1000

Tim X <timx@nospam.dev.null> writes:
> Rodrigo Amestica <ramestica@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> it is so nice to have emacs starting so blazingly fast when using the
>> daemon and emacsclient combination. However it seems that every other
>> emacsclient I open is not an independent version of emacs and things get
>> intermixed. I think that in emacs parlance the terminology is 'frame', all
>> emacsclient instances are emacs frames.

Correct.

>> The main problems I have noticed under these circumstances is that 'C- h-i'
>> seems to be shared by all frames such that browsing in one frame will make
>> the others to move away from their own current info page.  And the mayor
>> show stopper is ECB. It seems that I cannot have 2 emacsclients running
>> their own ECB session.
>>
>> I'm missing something or is the daemon mode not that usable as it promised
>> at first glance?
>
> As I understand it, this is normal behavior.

*nod*  You can see the same behaviour by starting a non-daemon Emacs, then
using emacsclient to open additional frames as well.

Regards,
        Daniel
--
✣ Daniel Pittman            ✉ daniel@rimspace.net            ☎ +61 401 155 707
   Looking for work?  Love Perl?  In Melbourne, Australia?  We are hiring.