difference in emacsclient compared to independant emacs for `show-parens

From: Harry Putnam
Subject: difference in emacsclient compared to independant emacs for `show-parens'
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2009 01:03:26 -0500

I'm running the cvs version but hoping to get an answer here rather
than get into the devel list.

I'm seeing something I don't understand.

When I do coding in emacs by way of invoking the emacslient on a
running emacs --daemon=prog (an emacs --daemon named `prog'.

 (emacsclient -s prog -c <to start the session>)

I see different behavior in show-paren-mode than I do when starting
emacs  with out emacsclient.

In the later, show-paren-mode tells certain information about a paren
if it is not visible in my screen when I place cursor near its mate.

When In emacsclient... I do not see that information displayed.

That is, if I place cursor near a paren whose mate is not visible in the
screen, nothing whatever happens.  Well, not completely.  The paren
near point does light up and I imagine its mate does too... but its
not visible on my screen. Whats missing is the information in the
minibuffer message area telling me where the other paren is and what
it is related to.  Apparently emacs thinks the paren is in my visible
screen.

Is this likely a local config problem or do others here see that
behavior too.

I can invoke the problem repeatedly by recentering the page to push a
target paren out of viewing area... then place cursor near its mate,
just in case anyone wants to test on there emacsclient.

Oh, and I have toggled show-paren-mode a few times while testing to
make sure it wasn't accidentally toggled off.