Re: problem reading ~/.emacs.desktop

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: problem reading ~/.emacs.desktop
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 11:37:56 +0200

On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 11:24, ken <gebser@mousecar.com> wrote:

> My (uneducated) hunch is that desktop-create-buffer doesn't like the
> first argument.  This argument is a number (which in my email client is
> displayed as an 'I' with a diacritical mark above it). When the above
> Debugger output is displayed in emacs the number is '\315'.  If I look
> at this ~/.emacs.desktop file with the "less" command, it is displayed
> as "<81><CD>"... for every instance of a buffer.  (?)
>
> According to the emacs doc on "desktop-create-buffer", this first arg is
> "desktop-file-version"; I don't know what that is and have no idea why
> the function "desktop-file-version" doesn't like it.
>
> Anybody able to figure out what this problem is?

Can you edit the desktop file and change these Í to 205 (the literal
string "205", I mean)? The version number should be a literal, for
example:

(desktop-create-buffer 206
  "c:/my-file"
  ... etc)

Can you move aside your current desktop file and recreate one with
`desktop-save' (or `desktop-save-in-desktop-dir') to see whether it is
correctly created?

    Juanma