mouse scroll and caret position

From: Jay I.
Subject: mouse scroll and caret position
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 14:27:43 +0300

hi, guys. how can i preserve caret position when scrolling the window? i
got used to the following technique - when i have to shoot a glance at a
piece of code in the same file but a couple of pages above/under my
current position i scroll the window with mouse wheel or scrollbar then
look at the code and hit either an arrow key or just start entering new
code based on what i've seen and my ide/editor brings my current
position into view automatically. when i do it in emacs if i scroll the
window too much the caret changes its position to stay on the screen.

p.s. i'm using emacs-gtk-22.2.1

regards,
jay