New to X/Emacs, compiler integration?

From: PseudoBoris2
Subject: New to X/Emacs, compiler integration?
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 22:16:16 -0700 (PDT)

I know X/Emacs allows LISP implementations to have scripts designed within
X/Emacs, and then executed within it, but I don't want to have to use other
editors to code in Ruby or C, but as far as I know I can only run Ruby well
within Cygwin, and C within MinGW. Is there a way I can integrate a compiler
for C/Ruby into X/Emacs, or do I have to simply enter c-mode and write the
script, then test it in a separate compiler, and the same for ruby-mode?