Re: Using javac with Emacs

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Subject: Re: Using javac with Emacs
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 15:32:45 +0200

Merciadri Luca <Luca.Merciadri@student.ulg.ac.be> writes:

> Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE> writes:
>
>> It seems as if your "terminal" runs a login shell while GNU Emacs
>> does not (in which interactive buffer, shell, eshell, term are you
>> invoking javac?).
> Using M-x then typing "javac nameofmyfile". That's the same way as I
> habitually do "make -B *.c", for example.

Not unless you defined a command named make--B-*.c

Typing M-x "javac nameofmyfile" RET may work only if you defined a
command named \"javac\ nameofmyfile\".

(defun \"javac\ nameofmyfile\" ()
  (interactive)
  (do-something))

And then, yes, you may type M-x "javac nameofmyfile" RET

Perhaps you wanted to type:

     M-x compile RET C-a C-k javac nameofmyfile RET

but that's something entirely different.

>> You could compare the value of the environment
>> variable PATH in both environments.
> M-x then "echo" is not a recognized command. I think that M-x aims at
> executing a limited set of (Emacs-)predefined commands. Am I right?

Right.

>> So what you need to do is to change your shell setup to have in a
>> "normal" shell at least the same value for PATH as in a login shell.
> Using ESC-!, I can type any shell command, but the output of
> echo $PATH
> is still the same as in a real terminal (but that is normal).

You should get the same path with:

           M-x compile RET C-a C-k echo "$PATH" RET
than with:
           M-! echo "$PATH" RET

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__