Re: Collaborative editing and persistently tracking changes

From: David (World) Reitter
Subject: Re: Collaborative editing and persistently tracking changes
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 11:56:45 -0700 (PDT)

On Sep 9, 3:38 pm, Joost Kremers <joostkrem...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > I would need a combination of highlight-changes-mode and a way to save
> > and load the change history of a buffer into a file, just like MS Word
> > does it (with the new open docx format).
>
> highlight-changes-mode uses text properties to track changes. the elisp manual
> describes a theoretical method of saving text properties to a file:

Right, but even then you'd only save the properties and not the
semantics (unless track-changes uses only properties, which it may
well do).

Upon loading changes in, you should be able to accept / reject each
change.
And of course I'd like to see who made the change.

Basically, MS Word does a good job.  It also merges changes, something
even modern version control systems can't do well enough (since they
are line-oriented).

I think this is a huge omission on the part of GNU Emacs...