syntax parsing of non-contiguous regions

From: Alexander Katovsky
Subject: syntax parsing of non-contiguous regions
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2009 21:14:12 +0100

Hi,

I want Emacs' syntax motion functions to ignore certain regions of the buffer; i.e. to correctly parse non-contiguous regions. This can be done effectively if you can define the region to ignore as a comment and set parse-sexp-ignore-comments variable to true.

Here's the problem. The primary mode has comments starting with '!' and ending with newline ('\n') and the buffer region I want ignored as a comment starts with "%{" and ends with "}%". However, I cannot see any way to define these both as comments. The mechanism to cope with multi-character comment delimiters in the syntax table is too specific to C to use here. Does anyone have any other suggestions, text-properties, for example?

Thanks,
Alex