Re: How to expertly fold perl or other scripting code.

From: Harry Putnam
Subject: Re: How to expertly fold perl or other scripting code.
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 12:24:05 -0500

[...]

Andreas wrote:
>> M-x outline-minor-mode RET
>> C-c @ C-t
>>
>> For a start...

Bernardo replied:
> i never investigated what is the difference between outline-minor-mode
> and hs-minor-mode but the later is also a possibility
>
> (they seem to be defined in different files but the commands have the
> same prefix key, C-c @)

TimX replied:

[...]

>> I personally find outline of limited use when it comes to folding
>> code. However, there are a few folding modes out there (check the emacs
>> wiki). I use an old mode called folding.el (which is bundled in the
>> emacs-goodies debian package. It works quite well, is easy to install
>> and provides good functionality.
>>>
>>>Tim

Wang replied:
> After reading these from folding.el, I decided to use hs-minor-mode.
>
> ;;
> ;;      Please note, that the maintainers do not recommend to use only
> ;;      folding for you your code layout and navigation. Folding.el is
> ;;      on its best when it can "chunk" large sections of code inside
> ;;      folds. The larger the chunks, the more the usability of
> ;;      folding will increase. Folding.el is not meant to hide
> ;;      individual functions: you may be better served by hideshow.el
> ;;      or imenu.el (which can parse the function indexes)

Good input... thanks.

hs-minor-mode, on first blush looks to be what I'm after. However I've
been unable to byte-compile folding.el offered on emacs-wiki... so
once I've got it to byte-compile... I might like it better... but for
now hs-minor-mode seems to do what I had in mind.

Especially after changing a couple of those really awkward keybindings
with `@' in the middle.

Changing: C-c @ c-s  to C-c s  (hs-show-block)
          C-c @ c-h  to C-c h  (hs-hide-block)

Seems not to collide with anything when in cperl-mode at least.
Buy maybe it will be a problem somewhere else.