Gnus with Emacs 23: gnus-gcc-mark-as-read not working anymore

From: Stefan Kamphausen
Subject: Gnus with Emacs 23: gnus-gcc-mark-as-read not working anymore
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 10:06:36 +0200

Hello,

last week Emacs 23.1 became stable on Gentoo and so I upgraded.  Mostly
smoothly.

However, there is one annoying problem which is that
gnus-gcc-mark-as-read doesn't seem to work anymore.

As far as I can see the relevant sections of my gnus-init-file are

(setq gnus-message-archive-group
      '((cond ((message-news-p)
               "nnml:saved-news")
              (t
               (list
                "nnml:mail.office.all"
                (format-time-string "nnml:mail.%Y-%m") )))))
(setq gnus-gcc-mark-as-read t)

The GCC-header is set all right, the messages are archived, too, but
they are marked as unread and I need to catchup manually.  This was not
the case with Emacs 22.x.

I already tried to dig into the code and already asked the same question
in a German gnus newsgroup:

http://groups.google.de/group/de.comm.software.gnus/browse_thread/thread/cf09458e0ea65b9b#

but to no avail.

Can someone please give any hints?  Given the amount of time I already
spent on this, the solution should be something quite obvious that I
just don't see.

Thanks and cheers,
Stefan

PS:
emacs-version "23.1.1"
gnus-version "Gnus v5.13" (as shipped with Emacs)

--
Stefan Kamphausen --- http://www.skamphausen.de
a blessed +42 regexp of confusion (weapon in hand)