Re: emacs starts about 10 seconds to long

From: Colin S. Miller
Subject: Re: emacs starts about 10 seconds to long
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 10:59:17 +0100

Christian Herenz wrote:
Krzysztof Poc schrieb:

My emacs starts about 10 seconds to long.
I suspect it is because my machine is not connected to a network.
Below is the strace log.
I found that it does a few short (1 second) breaks at each select
function invocation.
I pressed the ctrl-c after 3rd invocation of select function.
My box has got the network disabled globaly.
No ethX interfaces, only lo. resolv.conf is empty. All network
services are down etc.
My emacs version is 22.3.

Please help me to get rid of those delays.
Great thanks.

Hi, I had the same problem some time ago... I think the source of the problem had to do something with the hostname. If I remember correctly I manually set my hostname to a value which was not consistent with some system file. Maybe someone else knows more....

Greetings Christian

I suspected that as well,
emacs is trying to access port 53, which is the DNS server.

Christian,
Is the "lo" interface on 127.0.0.1 up?
This is the loop-back interface which allows your
machine to talk to itself. It should always be up,
otherwise problems can occur.

What is the contents of /etc/hostname and /etc/resolv.conf ?

HTH,
Colin S. Miller

--
Replace the obvious in my email address with the first three letters of the
hostname to reply.