Re: Turn off selection coloring

From: Xah Lee
Subject: Re: Turn off selection coloring
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 14:49:28 -0700 (PDT)

On Sep 15, 12:04 pm, Harry Putnam <rea...@newsguy.com> wrote:
> I'll admit I only spent about 10 minutes looking for this answer... I
> did
>
> M-x apropos <RET> selection <followed by just `select'>
>
> M-x customize-apropos " ditto "
>
> C-h -i m emacs i select (and walked thru them)
>
> I didn't find out how to turn off the blue color that appears when
> mark is set, and I scroll. Indicating a selected region.  The one that
> requires two spc bar hits to turn off.
>
> I liked the old way... with no color and find myself very often
> accidentally coloring a region...
>
> It is nice when I *intend* to select a region but too often I
> accidentally select.... no doubt some kind of poor typing habit
> causing it but it means this happens very often for me.
>
> I don't remember having trouble knowing what I selected... when
> intentionally selecting a region before we had that highlight, so I
> think I want it off.
>
> Can anyone provide a better searching clue?

your answer is here:

• New Features in Emacs 23
  http://xahlee.org/emacs/emacs23_features.html

textual excerpt (html table format screted...):

Text Selection Highlighted

Text selection is highlighted by default. This is done by having
transient-mark-mode on by default. To turn it off, put the following
in your emacs init file:

(transient-mark-mode 0) ; 1 for on, 0 for off

If you leave transient-mark-mode on, now several emacs commands
automatically apply to the text selection when text are selected, else
they work on the current word or line. These commands are:
Commands That Automatically Apply To Selection purpose  emacs command
name    shortcut
hard wrap lines fill-paragraph  Alt+q
indenting code  indent-for-tab-command or other Tab
check spelling  ispell-word     Alt+$

Also, now you can hold down the Shift key then press arrows key to
select text. To turn this off, put:

(setq shift-select-mode nil) ; “t” for true, “nil” for false

However, by default, pressing delete key will not delete the selected
text. If you want this, put:

(delete-selection-mode 1) ; make typing override text selection

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/