Re: package updater?

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Subject: Re: package updater?
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 13:50:23 +0200

Chelmite <steve.kelem@gmail.com> writes:

> I have installed many emacs packages over the years.
> It's difficult to keep up with updates for all of them.
> Is there a mechanism, similar to yast, smart, apt, etc, that will
> update packages automatically?

gentoo installs emacs packages like any other package.  When you
update your package with gentoo, it updates emacs packages too.

Last week end, I typed:

     emerge --sync && emerge --update portage && emerge --update world

which is the standard incantation to make a full update of your gentoo
system, and it installed emacs-23 and updated all the emacs packages.

Are you sure debian or any other linux distribution doesn't do the same?

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__