Re: Disabling eldoc-mode during isearch-mode

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: Disabling eldoc-mode during isearch-mode
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 08:58:18 -0600

Nordlöw wrote:
I'm trying to disable eldoc-mode during isearch-mode to prevent
flickering caused by their minibuffer-competition.

I found this

(defadvice eldoc-display-message-no-interference-p (around not-during-
isearch)
  "Prevent eldoc from displaying during isearch."
  (unless isearch-mode) ad-do-it)

to do the job but only after having disabled and enabled eldoc-mode
manually in each buffer that should use this behaviour.

That looks completely wrong: it unconditionally runs the original
definition via ad-do-it, and the (unless isearch-mode) form doesn't
do anything.  Also, the advice is not activated.

(defadvice eldoc-display-message-no-interference-p (around unless-isearch-mode
                                                           activate)
  "Disable during incremental search."
  (unless isearch-mode
    ad-do-it))

I also noticed that C-h f eldoc-display-message-no-interference-p only
says that function is advice once i evaluate it manually after having
adviced it.

Does it have something to do byte-compiling?

No, activation.

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA