File Completion strangeness

From: Mike Hostetler
Subject: File Completion strangeness
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 16:15:01 -0500 (CDT)

I have seen this problem on GNU Emacs 23, both on MacOS via Emacs.app and on Cygwin GNU Emacs.  At first I thought it was weirdness on the Mac, but now that I've seen it on Cygwin, it must be something that changed in 23.

This takes a while to explain, but let's say I have the following directory structure:

  /foo/
      bar/
      barfoo/

In Emacs  I'm in directory /foo/bar and I want to go into /foo/barfoo.  So I do C-x C-f and Emacs says /foo/bar.  I delete the word bar and hit TAB and see "bar" and "barfoo" listed.  I type "barf", hit TAB and it gives me "barfoo" but it takes off the "/foo" on the name. So when I hit enter, it says that the directory doesn't exist!  Now when I do C-x C-f  Emacs says I'm in "/foo/bar/barfoo".

In previous versions of Emacs I would be in /foo/barfoo.  So what changed?  Or what am I doing wrong?

Mike Hostetler