Re: Regular Expression Parser in Emacs Lisp

From: Nordlöw
Subject: Re: Regular Expression Parser in Emacs Lisp
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 05:17:56 -0700 (PDT)

On Sep 25, 2:08 pm, Joost Kremers <joostkrem...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Nordlöw wrote:
> > Has any body any reflections, ideas or even code snippets that could
> > be used to implement a regular expression parser in Emacs-Lisp?
> > My highest prio is supporting emacs-style regexps.
>
> and why don't you use the one that's built into emacs?
>
> --
> Joost Kremers                                      joostkrem...@yahoo.com
> Selbst in die Unterwelt dringt durch Spalten Licht
> EN:SiS(9)

My motivation:
I am currently implementing (in Emacs-Lisp) a sort of database layer
for file types based on both file name and contents patterns (compare
with file and libmagic) that are preferrably specified using regular
expressions. But to make this reasonably fast I need a way to figure
out if a regexp has a maximum match length and if so what that length
is.
This because I want to perform memory-local scanning of file contents
and only want to load as much of the file that I actually need.

/Nordlöw