Re: Gnus with Emacs 23: gnus-gcc-mark-as-read not working anymore

From: Stefan Kamphausen
Subject: Re: Gnus with Emacs 23: gnus-gcc-mark-as-read not working anymore
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 13:28:34 +0200

Hi David,

David Engster <deng@randomsample.de> writes:

> Stefan Kamphausen <skampi@gmx.net> writes:
>>> in the meantime I dived into the code and found that my description was
>>> not fully correct.  Right after sending a message with GCC-headers those
>>> messages seem to be marked read, because they don't show up immediately
>>> after sending.  Just when I hit 'g' (gnus-group-get-new-news) the new
>>> message make the group appear bold and with a message count > 0 in the
>>> group buffer.
>
> Does hitting M-g on the group fix this?

I'm not sure what you mean by "fix".  However, if I go to one of my
archive groups (nnml:mail.2009-09 currently) and hit M-x the messages
sent earlier lead to that group having a count > 0, that is, those sent
messages are not marked as read.  So, this is just the same as hitting
'g' anywhere in the group buffer.

>> Rereading my older post and while searching the gnus-source code as well
>> as the internet for answers I found that the method is stripped from the
>> group name.  According to this thread from 2006
>> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/62775/focus=62934
>> this may well be the problem.
>>
>> To me it seems like the call to (gnus-group-short-name group) leads to
>> my problem.  If I read the changelog correctly it was introduced in
>> revision 1.57, Fri Jan 9 03:01:51 2009 UTC:
>>
>> http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-msg.el?root=emacs&r1=1.56&r2=1.57
>
> This was introduced because of a problem with nnimap as primary mail
> backend. See
>
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/67932
>
> Do you use nnml as your primary back end?

Yes:

(setq gnus-select-method '(nnml ""))
(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
      '(
      ;; Had lots of nnimap groups here earlier, but now all are commented
      ;; However, I might need them again in the future
      ))

(eval-after-load "mail-source"
  '(setq mail-sources
         '(
           (imap
            :server "mailserver.example.com"
            :user "domain/username"
            :password "verysecret"
            )
           )))

I think I could switch primary to nnil and secondary to nnml, but I am
not sure.

Is it dangerous to try this?  Would it mess up some files, like
~/.news.eld?  What would I need to backup before any experiments?

Kind Regards,
Stefan
--
Stefan Kamphausen --- http://www.skamphausen.de
a blessed +42 regexp of confusion (weapon in hand)