Re: Gnus with Emacs 23: gnus-gcc-mark-as-read not working anymore

From: David Engster
Subject: Re: Gnus with Emacs 23: gnus-gcc-mark-as-read not working anymore
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 14:00:37 +0200

Stefan Kamphausen <skampi@gmx.net> writes:
> David Engster <deng@randomsample.de> writes:
>>
>> Does hitting M-g on the group fix this?
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by "fix".

I meant if it then corrects the number of unread messages to "0". This
could happen if you have 'gaps' in the article numbers, which can often
be resolved by doing a M-g on that group. But that doesn't seem to be
the case here.

>> This was introduced because of a problem with nnimap as primary mail
>> backend. See
>>
>> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/67932
>>
>> Do you use nnml as your primary back end?
>
> Yes:
>
> (setq gnus-select-method '(nnml ""))
> (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
>       '(
>       ;; Had lots of nnimap groups here earlier, but now all are commented
>       ;; However, I might need them again in the future
>       ))

[...]

> I think I could switch primary to nnil and secondary to nnml, but I am
> not sure.
>
> Is it dangerous to try this?  Would it mess up some files, like
> ~/.news.eld?  What would I need to backup before any experiments?

No, better don't do this. It should work with nnml as primary back end,
otherwise it's a bug. I don't use nnml, so I'm not sure why it doesn't
work for you. Maybe nnml and nnimap behave differently in this regard,
which would be unfortunate. I will have to create a test setup for this.

Regards,
David