Re: positioning of window in X no more possible

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: positioning of window in X no more possible
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2009 11:20:44 +1100

> Am 04.10.2009 um 09:32 schrieb Peter Münster:
>
>> On Sat, 3 Oct 2009, Peter Dyballa wrote:
>>
>>> How does it work when you additionally add the -Q option?
>>
>> Hello Peter,
>>
>> The problem is the same with the -Q option.
>

> Does "xrdb -q | egrep -i 'emacs|geom'" show something?
>
> GNU Emacs 23.1, when launched with -Q, should still follow X resources.  Its
> help lists -g as meaning the same as --geometry. How  does this work instead
> of -g? Does the variable command-line-args  contain the command line
> arguments? What is the command 'which emacs'  returning? And what is 'file
> `which emacs`' telling? Does 'emacs --
> help' work?
>
> --

I messed the orriginal post, but just in case its not been made clear,
window placement (frames in emacs terminology) is managed by the window
manager. Emacs can provide 'hints' in the form of geometry
specification, which may or may not be honoured by the window
manager. In some cases, the window manager may only use part of the
information. For example, it may honour the geometry size request, but
ignore placement directives or use the placement directives in
combination with thge window manager placement configuration to
position the window as close to the position requested, but within
thewm config on window placement (for examplke, you may have configured
the wm not to overlap windows or to tile windows and this will be
affected by other windows that are already displaying).

Its been a while since I looked at geometry specifications. Last time I
looked into it, there was some variation in how geometry values are
interpreted for window managers that also provide virtual
windows/workspaces. >

What window manager are you using?
What emacs specific and 'wildcard' values do you have in your
.Xresources?

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au